Tooth-colored fillings are a great choice for patients who want a natural smile. The composite resins used in tooth-colored fillings blend with the natural color of original teeth in way that other fillings just can not. In a day where aesthetics is more valued than ever, it is a tremendous advantage to have a bright smile that is unmarred by unnatural colors.
Tooth-colored fillings are a good option for moderately sized fillings. They work well for back teeth or for front teeth. They are also offer decent durability and a resistance to fracture.
Studies have indicated that tooth-colored fillings have several advantages over other options.
- Innovative technology causes these filling to form a much tighter fit with your natural teeth.
- The tighter fit and stronger bond helps to alleviate the cracks that are common with other options.
- Even when a tooth-colored filling does crack, it can be simply repaired. There is usually not a need for a complete replacement.
The process for tooth-colored fillings can take a bit longer to complete than other options because these fillings necessitate that the tooth be clean and kept dry while it is being filled.
Metal fillings and amalgams are not able to bond with natural teeth. They simply rest on the teeth. However, as more research has been completed on bonding technology, new methods have been discovered. The result has been fillings that are stronger and more comfortable.
Even with all of the advancement in technology, the age-old adage still stands. “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” The best strategy is to avoid fillings altogether. This can be accomplished with a regular plan for dental health.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day
- Floss your teeth daily
- Use a mouthwash that fights bacteria
- Eat a well-balanced, nutritional diet
- Visit the dentist for regular check ups