Porcelain veneers have become the treatment of first choice for those looking to overcome chipped teeth or stained teeth. The concept is simple, the application is versatile, and the product is durable. The veneer, a thin shell of porcelain, is bonded directly to the surface on the front of your teeth. The application of veneers certainly requires skill; however, the experienced team at San Jose Sedation Dentistry utilizes this procedure on a regular basis.
The popularity of porcelain veneers is based upon several distinct advantages:
- They are essentially invisible to the human eye.
- They are robustly resistant to cigarette, coffee, and tea stains.
- They appear to be healthy teeth with white enamel.
- They are more easily repaired than other options.
Porcelain veneers work beautifully in a variety of scenarios:
- They can correct uneven teeth or crooked teeth.
- They can restore teeth that have been broken or chipped.
- They can display a whitened front for teeth when traditional whitening treatments have not corrected the problem.
- They can hide stained fillings from previous treatments.
- They can close gaps between existing teeth.
The actual process of placing porcelain veneers also has a couple of advantages. While some procedures may require the removal of a significant amount of tooth structure, the application of veneers requires little to no removal of tooth structure. Also, the level of discomfort from this treatment is very low.
The process begins with a consultation with your dentist in order to determine your goals and a specific plan of action. The dentist will then take x-rays and make impressions of the teeth that will receive the veneers. The impressions are shipped to a lab which will custom-fabricate the veneers that you need. While you are waiting for the custom-fit veneers, you will have an appointment in which the dentist will prepare your teeth for the veneers by removing a very thin layer of tooth enamel. Once your dentist has received the veneers, he will use a special bonding cement to apply the them to your teeth.
Ultimately, you will be smiling confidently and making great first impressions. It is a treatment that will leave you beaming with delight!